Thursday, January 19, 2006

Post SPACE fun ideas

SPACE is really only supposed to care for students that are still in high school or younger. So the summer after kids graduate from high school really isn't a part of SPACE's responsibility, although I have helped out with a few teams of kids that age. That is always a fun treat for me. It's that whole ongoing relationship thing that we as youthworkers need to work hard at maintaining and balancing. Give them enough freedom but still be a part of their lives.

What is also pretty fun is to think about what some of the kids can do post-high school. Recently, I have run into three pretty cool mission internship things that incorporate social justice, living in community, and learning through experience. In other words, I want someone I know to do one of these things so that I can live vicariously through them. Ha.

Anyway, here they are. I've added just a bit of detail about what I know of them. But if you are college or even post-college age and are interested in a missions internship, some of these might be worth checking out. Alternatively, I might try to coerce you into one of these so you can come back and tell me some great stories.

YWAM Discpleship Training School
of course
all over the world
3 months of classroom study
2 months of in the field on a missions trip

Nieucommunities, run by CRM
Glasgow, South Africa and Vancouver. A 42 week long internship. CRM looks like a top notch organization. Their collective staff has 1100 years of aggregate missions experience. Steve Addision - whose blog is a must read - is on staff with CRM.

The International Express
NYC, run in combination with YWAM DTS and Urban Impact NY
Same length as a normal DTS, 3 months classroom and 2 months in the field. Specifically located in NYC, targetting UPGs in the city. I've been with Urban Impact and I know they are above board.

Forge
The two guys that wrote The Shaping of Things to Come created Forge. Enough said.

I'm sure there are plenty more out there. Reading about some of those opportunities got me really excited. The future is to be created.

Slightly related - in a few weeks, I'll do my annual round up of summer mission opportunities with agencies specific for students.

No comments:

Post a Comment