Sunday, April 24, 2005

Article - 10 tips for the fear of flying

- Everyone has some degree of flying fear. You put yourself in a small cylindrical tube, loaded with flammable liquid, trust your life with some unseen pilot who, if media reports are to be believed, probably has a drinking problem. To make matters worse, you’ve been bombarded with graphic details of previous air fatalities.
- One out of every six adults has a fear of flying, also known as aviophobia or aerophobia? It is estimated that 35 percent of all airline crews, flight attendants and pilots, also have either a fear of heights or flying.

My favorite of the ten tips:
7. Listen to peaceful and calming music. Your mind tends to wander and hear sounds that either don’t exist or are perfectly normal flight noises.
I almost always bring a cd player, mp3 player or my computer, when I can.

I also have a tendency to get motion sick. It's a great attribute for people involved in missions. So I also wear a pair of Sea-Bands, when I remember. I don't know if there is scientific proof if they work or not. I just know that in the very back of a tour bus through the Lake District in England, my stomach was totally calm. Of course, it is possible that these things put me right to sleep... Placebo or not, it's better than feeling like you are about to barf a lung.
Full article here via Gadling.

No comments:

Post a Comment