For those of you that might be interested in our team prep material, here are our discussion points from tonight:
Rate the following statements on a 'difficulty of coping' scale. 1 - easy, 5 - I'm going to implode if I have to do this any longer.
You can't communicate because of language differences, and this produces many awkward and embarrassing situations.#2
No one seems to understand you or appreciate the sacrifices you've made to come and be with them.
You can't wear the clothes that feel most comfortable to you because of other's customs.
The only time you can be alone is at night in bed.
No one gives you a straight answer. They seem to say yes to everything, even though they may not mean yes and have no intention of doing what you suggest.
Nothing starts on time. People state a starting time or agree to meet at a certain time, but often things begin an hour later.
You find yourself craving familiar food. Even a Big Mac sounds great.
Worship services are very emotional, with many people speaking in tongues.
People stare at you wherever you go, and women and children often beg from you.
No toilets, no showers, no air conditioning.
Principle and ActionOne more was added - 'Cast away your expectations.'
1. Walk with humility. Remember, you are showing up late to a meeting. God has been at work among these people long before you arrived!
2. Embrace with affirmation. Your greatest gift to the people you meet will be affirmation, not criticism.
3. Live with vulnerability. Don't be afraid of weakness - it's normal.
4. Practice flexibility. Always expect the unexpected - you're not in control.
5. Live as a student. Be determined to learn from everyone.
6. Work as a servant. Be willing to do whatever needs to be done.
7. Speak as a storyteller. Let the Spirit tell God's story through you.
The other leaders then had a short discussion on parts of one body - I Cor 12 - while I went to get some ice cream [no, not really.] [Topic for another post - are these leaders trying to work me out of a job?]
Their homework --
Answer this question, in the form of a short (10-15 minute) Bible study – "I am interested in learning more about Jesus and what the Bible says about Him."For those of you also prepping teams, feel free to use any or all of the above. I know I've said it here before, but the Short-Term Missions Workbook is one of the best resources out there.