Sunday, December 12, 2004

Another Family Glimpse

I've written in the past a few times about this inside glimpse we youthworkers have on family moments (one posting about releasing students is here). I had another one this morning.
One of my dteam guys went right into the Army right after high school. He has spent the past few months in Iraq and had come home a few weeks ago. When I saw him in church, I went up to him, gave him a hug, asked him how he was doing. Just small talk, really, but I wanted to really make sure that he knew I was happy to see him.
So much of what we do is making kids feel like they are wanted.
Another person came up and thanked him for the job that he was doing in the war, it was pretty cool. He said he had been home for twelve days, and that he was leaving in three, to go back.
When he said that, I noticed both a look of pain and a few tears on his mother's face. It was a look of desperation, of finality, of the pain of having your child suffer. After talking to my friend, I gave his mother a hug. It felt like it was the least I could do.
We've got this awesome privilege that God has granted us. Sometimes, it feels like we just can't do enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment