Friday, March 31, 2006

Momentum of Teams

In June of 1993, two student mission teams left for six week trips. One team was spending six weeks with six different mission experiences, ranging from service projects, backyard Bible clubs, and inner city camps. My team would eventually spend close to four weeks in the Dominican Republic. Both teams spent the first and last week together, working as a collective team. The first week was spent working on various work projects getting a summer camp ready for the season, while the last week was meant as a relaxing week at the beach doing open air evangelism. You know how open air evangelism can be so calming and relaxing.

The summer of 1993 was definitely a significant life event for me. I led a team for the second time. I had to integrate leading my team along with working with another team - and my then-girlfriend was a leader on that team [that's us 2nd and 3rd from the right]. Our teams did preparation together, as well as those first and last weeks together. I traveled to another country, really lived in another culture, saw real poverty first hand, got sick and was quite uncomfortable.

One of the rewarding things that summer was seeing two teams leave together for different localities. It ingrained on me the idea of momentum of teams during the mission preparation phase.

Technorati tags::

No comments:

Post a Comment