Friday, March 24, 2006

On Winning

"You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it." - from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

March Madness has 0 bearing on me. [You are surprised I even know huh?] The only real thing it means to me is that people enter their pools and some crazy men spend a lot more time in front of the TV. Even though I don't follow sports, I know that winning and losing is a fact of life. There is usually only one winner, one person at the top of the class, one that gets the biggest bonus or promotion. That is the way it is in school, that is the way it is at work. That is the way it is at Brownies and gymnastics, even when my little girls don't quite understand. Even though life is not a bell curve, there are winners and losers.

A significant way we view life is how we define winning and losing. Sometimes we win and sometimes we lose. And sometimes, we have a perspective that is a little bit different than what our culture tells us is 'winning' and 'losing.' This story of tennis star James Blake [who is a friend of a friend of some family, which is why the story originally caught my eye] is a great example.

No comments:

Post a Comment