Saturday, February 28, 2004

Summer Missions 1
Our first parents meeting for one of the summer mission trips is tonight, I'm excited. I'm excited to see the kids that are interested, to meet their parents, to see the leaders of this team - who are also the grade small group leaders - run the show and share their thoughts. I'm also excited to share the overall vision of SPACE missions with these parents. I think it's going to be lots of fun, I hope they get the vision for what we could do when the youth ministry gets smart, strategic and full bore about Biblical missions.
Here are some of the questions we are using on our trip application:
*What are your reasons for wanting to go on this trip?
*List specific personal goals you have for this trip?
*What or who sparked your interest in missions?
*How do your parents/guardians feel about you going on this trip? Do you have their complete support?
*Do you have any medical or psychological concerns that could affect your performance on this trip?
*Who is your favorite bible character and why?
*If you were stranded on a desert island, what five things would you want to have with you and why? Please list them in order of importance to you.
*What is your favorite movie and in what way do you relate to it?
*What has God been teaching you lately?
*What are your views, as a Christian, on:
- Alcohol and drug consumption
- Christian sexual conduct
- Choice of entertainment/media

Had a conversation with our good friend, CA, who are missionaries with Open Air Campaigners here in Baltimore, about their summer plans. Very exciting. They also mentioned an international student ministry at Hopkins they have started to get plugged into, which was mostly Chinese students. That sounds like a lot of fun. I think one different thing SPACE could really have fun doing would be something with international students, talk about the great need in where we live, a potentially really big impact to the 10/40 window, and getting kids to understand a bit about culture and such.

Went to a girl scout Daisies "Thinking Day" with my 6 year old last night. The theme was ancient Egypt. Let's just say that not too much of it was about Egypt. Two things bothered me - First, they had some 4th and 5th graders explaining what the Egyptians thought about the afterlife, to kindergartenders among others. This wasn't that big of a deal, I'm just glad that our daughter is pretty spiritual sharp, or at least, I would like to think so. It was a good source of conversation for us. Secondly, they had this 'skit' at the end which had nothing to do with Egypt. Instead, the gist was a 'dance' at the end in which the girls encouraged other girls to show off their 'booty.' Uh yeah. I was more in shock than anything else, and I think, and would like to hope, that other parents were too. Did we learn nothing from the Super Bowl? Is undecency that laughable? Do we think its ok to show something like that to 6 year old girls? I don't think I'm making too much out of this, the more I ponder it, the more hot I get. And I thought, like a crazy person, that this whole evening might have been a good cross cultural experience for my 6 year old. Well, it certainly was a good culture lesson, lets just say...

No comments:

Post a Comment