Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Power Evangelism number X

My good friend MM lent me this book when we were in FL.

Probably 18 months ago, I would have been a huge skeptic of most of what was in there. But I don't really think I am anymore. Call me crazy... If you've read it, or heard of it, would love to hear your thoughts.
A few of my notes:

Any system or force that must be overcome for the gospel to be believed is cause for a power encounter.
‘A power encounter is a visible practical demonstration that Jesus Christ is more powerful than the false gods or spirits worshipped or feared by a people group’ – C. Peter Wagner

By power evangelism I mean a presentation of the gospel that is rational but also transcends the rational. The explanation of the gospel – the clear proclamation of the finished work of Christ on the cross – comes with a demonstration of God’s power through signs and wonders.
The Bible does not teach that evangelism apart from signs and wonders somehow changes the gospel message. The heart and soul of evangelism is the proclamation of the Gospel.
Many of us are suspicious of a story in which supernatural knowledge of personal sin is used in evangelism. This demonstrates how far Christianity in Western society has drifted from experiences that occurred in New Testament times.



I guess the gist for me is that I'm not longer suspicious when I hear a story like that. And boy, this book is full of stories. It's scary because when someone's worldview changes, look out. It's like McManus says, "The Bible - it can really mess your stuff up."

No comments:

Post a Comment