Saturday, July 17, 2004

Make No Agreement

Afew quotes from "Waking the Dead" by Eldredge:
- "Remember, when Jesus boiled his whole mission down to healing the brokenhearted and setting prisoners free from darkness, he was referring to all of us.  Our modern, scientific, Enlightenment worldview has simply removed spiritual warfare as a practical category, and so it shouldn’t surprise us that we can’t see spiritual strongholds after we say they don’t really exist."
- "Satan is called in Scripture the Father of Lies (John 8:44).  His very first attack against the human race was to lie to Eve and Adam about God, and where life is to be found, and what the consequences of certain actions would and would not be.  He is a master at this.  He suggests to us – as he suggested to Adam and Eve- some sort of idea or inclination or impression, and what he is seeking is a sort of ‘agreement’ on our part.  He’s hoping we will buy into whatever he is saying, offering, insinuating. "
- "During an assault like this, you must remember:  make no agreements.  The Enemy will suggest all sorts of things.  “God doesn’t care.  You’re not worth fighting for.  Your heart doesn’t matter.  You can’t trust him.”  He is trying to kill your heart, destroy the glory of your life.  It will feel hard – really hard, almost impossible – but whatever you do, make no agreements.  You have to start there."
I have felt this all week for some reason.  I'm not sure what it boils down to.  It has come from all angles - my role as a father and husband, my abilities at my job, the things I am doing with students...  I'm not sure why with regard to the timing.
I don't even really know why I decided to look up my notes from Eldredge's book again... but I'm really glad I did.
John 10:10 - life to the full - your are God's delight

No comments:

Post a Comment