Friday, September 17, 2010

Getting on the Bus

I've spent a good bit of time in the past few months thinking about a Board of Directors for The Ember Cast. It's one of the stipulations of our 501C3 status - and rightly so. I don't want to have sole responsibility and authority with other people's money. Even though you probably trust me - which I totally appreciate - I want other people to help have oversight over this area. Also, quite selfishly, it's a way for me to continue to work on a shared project with people I admire and for me to have wise people speak into my life.

So I've invited 5 other people to join the Board of Directors for one year. I'm thrilled that all of them have accepted - we are currently scheduling our first two meetings for the rest of 2010 [one of those is an ice cream gathering =) ]. Tell you about these people soon.

Jim Collins' principle of "First Who... then What." drove a lot of my thinking about this Board. First, get the right people on the bus. Then get them in the right seats. Then you can decide on where to drive the bus. I don't know much about Boards, but these 5 people, I'm pretty sure, are the right people on the bus.

Check out the Good to Great diagnostic tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment