Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Mission Book

Larry McCrary is one of the creators of The Upstream Collective, a different kind of missions organization that exists "to see churches think and act like missionaries." Larry connected me to some great folks for a little project I was working on a few months ago and recently asked me to write a little contribution to The Mission Book.

Short term mission teams are notoriously under prepared. They don't understand how to navigate cultures, they don't know their teammates well enough and they wear the same t-shirts in the airport. Some say that 50% of short term mission teams do detriment to the visibility of long term missionaries - I believe that to be true. I also believe this is easily fixed.

We've had a great deal of success in focusing on three concepts when helping missions teams prepare: serving, movement and awareness. And when you work on these three, you get a team, not just collection of people going somewhere together.
Read more of my entry here.

No comments:

Post a Comment