Monday, May 13, 2013

This is What Trust Looks Like

The key ingredient to building trust is not time. It is courage. - Patrick Lencioni
+ Trevin tells me [in a very constructive tone] that sometimes I talk really fast and in choosing a cross cultural tool to teach on, I should choose something that I know less about so I can teach it with more depth. And I should try to talk a little slower. Amy says, "Wow, that is some unfiltered debate." I am not offended or put off at all. In fact, I value the feedback and let it marinate in my mind for a few days. In the end, I choose a topic that I don't know that well. But I still probably talk too fast.

+ During some team building rotations, I was a floater, meaning I was off watching everyone do the work and also in charge of telling teams where to rotate to next. At the first switch, I totally screwed it up. I call Amy, who is down in the woods waiting for her next team to arrive. She says, "It doesn't matter who it is, just whatever works so that someone rotates into something they haven't done before."

+ In the fantasy world of infinite time, any time our team does a teaching or presentation, we would practice it. In reality, sometimes we don't have time. Trevin and Amy are tasked with delivering a talk to student mission trip leaders. Kristen, Trevin and I divide up workshop topics on cross cultural tools. Everyone runs with these tasks and although I feel a need to listen to at least part of their talk, I decide to not worry about it. Because I trust them. The feedback I get about all the sessions read something like this:
"Kristen did a wonderful job presenting the information."
"Trevin's was solid... needs more refining, but the message was excellent....He was well received and people were talking about for the rest of the day."
"I really enjoyed the combination of academic (definition/diagram/handout) and stories to model the process. The Circle seems like a good tool to use all-the-time!"

We put a lot of value in our guides, knowing they are talented, have lots of cross cultural experience and can relate and inspire the next generation. Probably better than all that - they are courageous.

No comments:

Post a Comment