Monday, September 28, 2009

The Ember Cast on Ning

You might think I chose to have the Ember Cast's main web presence on Ning because I'm cheap. On the other hand, Ning allows you to build some social media components directly in to a web site - things like discussion forums, pictures and video, commenting and connecting. I've been pleasantly surprised at the level of interaction on the site already and it seems to me the days of static websites is over. Your website should have some level of community engagement as a part of it.

I and others have also wondered about asking people to join another social networking site. Between Facebook, Twitter, etc., how many of these are people really going to want to be a part of another one - along with the time they need to spend on keeping up. But I'm okay with asking people to be a part of this. Remember, Ember is a tribe - there is an inside and, consequently, an outside.

Then again, you are right, I am cheap. With the state of free web tools and global poverty, I'm hard pressed to pay for a website. And one of the guiding principles of Ember is that when we start raising support, we will give as much as we can to catalyzing students, not paying for websites.

Feel free to join if you are a regular reader of this blog. Just click "Fan" when you see that option.

No comments:

Post a Comment