Monday, January 04, 2016

In 2016, Use Time to Your Advantage

The number one reason that students who want to get involved in something related to The Ember Cast but cannot is a lack of time. It's not that their passions wane, or they get bogged down in executing a project or that there is no clear path. It is simply an issue of time - they are just too busy. I'm not saying they aren't involved in good things although that could be true. But it is generally a capacity issue that I have seen time and time again.

When I was 16 years old, I had all the time in the world. School was not an interest. Athletics were not. Girls, nope. Drugs, nope. Afternoon naps when I get home from school were awesome however. The student of today is just the opposite - they never have enough time. Their parents aren't blameless in this issue either.

This year, instead, you could decide to make the time to do the right things. You could do clarify your dreams, articulate your values, and apply some intention to life. You could decide to cast off the things that don't matter and fully engage your gifts and talents for things that do matter. Find friends that will be co-conspirators with you. You could sit down and really talk with your parents about this too - just leave my name out of it.

30 years ago, in 1986, I did none of these things and I don't mind telling you, my high school years were just about a waste. Don't let that happen to your 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment