Thursday, October 24, 2013

From Shark Tales - Just Get Going

The Corcoran Group became the innovator in my industry because I was always willing to fail. Most of my innovations were built on a leap and a prayer, using money I should never have spent in the first place. I think of a new idea as a small white bird flying by, and if I don't grab it right then, it's gone a moment later. I learned there is no better time to bring the idea to life than at the very moment of inception. I also learned that the surefire way to kill an idea is to send it to a committee or an attorney for review.
...
Being afraid to fail stops you from trying things in the first place. I learned after many failures that nobody's watching and nobody gives a damn. If you want to build a successful business, you don't have to get it right, you just have to get it going.
- Shark Tales, How I Turned $1000 into a Billion Dollar Business, by Barbara Corcoran.
I've only watched Shark Tales a handful of times although I'd love to watch more episodes of it. This is a great read - fun, witty and smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment