Thursday, February 02, 2006

Misc Thurs

Today was not like most nights. There was commotion on my walk home. About one block after I got off my stop I heard quick steps coming in my direction. Before I had an opportunity to turn around hands were on my back pushing me down and pulling at my neck. My gold chain.
** Great story about a mugging with a surprise and cool twist. Read the rest here. HT - DCBlogs


** Snippets from the results of The 2006 Lemelson-MIT Invention Index, which gauges Americans' attitudes toward invention and innovation, specific to teenagers:
- Teens are also optimistic that new inventions and innovations can solve important global issues, such as clean water (91 percent), world hunger (89 percent), disease eradication (88 percent), pollution reduction (84 percent) and energy conservation (82 percent).
- "Perhaps more than any preceding generation, today's young people are completely comfortable with rapid technological change," Lemelson-MIT Program Director Merton Flemings said. "The rate of innovation, as reflected in U.S. patent applications, has more than doubled during their lifetime."
- More than three out of four teens (77 percent) believe they have learned problem-solving skills well while in school. They also feel prepared to work in teams (72 percent), think creatively (71 percent) and lead others (61 percent). However, they fall short when it comes to budgeting money. Only 32 percent of teens said they feel they learned that skill well while in school.
- "This year's Invention Index found that nearly half of teens view invention as a way to contribute to society and be creative. Yet we continue to fall short, particularly with respect to teenage girls, when it comes to presenting these fields as viable and attainable career options. We need to do more to make science and technology more attractive to today's youth."
HT - BoingBoing

** NYC scavenger hunts
Link. I almost had a mutiny when I sent one team to do a scavenger hunt in NYC in the summer of 2004. Boy were they mad....

No comments:

Post a Comment